Thursday, April 06, 2006

Must be Summer, ...

I got a full lung evaluation today. Nice technician, taken on time, took the amount of time they said it would. She fitted a mouthpiece onto a device that had four tiny tubes coming out of it that ran down into a computer. Mouthpiece is about the size around of the core of a roll of toilet paper, but quite a bit more sturdy. And I had to place a clip on my nose so I could only breathe through my mouth. While this is no biggie, if you swallow with the nose clip on, your ears clog up.

She cranked up her PC and off we went. Holding the tube in my mouth, I was asked to breathe normally for about four or five times and then to inhale sharply and then exhale all the way and then inhale again. We did this about three or four times. Then it was breathing normally four or five times (that is part of every one of the tests), a full inhale and a forceful exhale…keeping exhaling for about 8 to 10 seconds, then inhale. Again, as with all of these, we did this three or four times.

She then placed the breathing device in a bracket within a door that she closed around me. It’s all clear plastic, so no claustrophobia. I had to put my fingers on my cheeks (so they could not puff out), breathe, then pant (against some resistance from the machine), breathe, pant, big breath in, full exhale, repeat.

During one of these rounds, her PC gave her a Norton Antivirus Alert which, of course, meant the specific round we had just finished could not be recorded and we had to do it over. Love PCs.

Then she put a liquid into something that would be akin to an inhaler, passed air through it to make it mist, and I inhaled all the mist over the next few minutes. This was to dilate my lungs so she could run the same series of tests again to see any differences.

I was told that my doctor would call me with the results. She did a printout of her work. I saw that some of the numbers were red while others black. Guess the red ones were outside of some normal range. But she did tell me that it did not look bad overall.

I didn’t cough the entire time I was being tested, but started to cough as soon as I was in the hall heading toward the elevator.

… my breath is coming in short pants

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home