Wednesday, May 07, 2008

I Once Was Lost, But Now I'm Found

I got into my car after lunch today and turned on the GPS system to aid guiding me to a meeting. The map the system displayed showed I was miles away from my current location and heading in about the opposite direction. Not having time to fool with it then, I turned it off. After the meeting, I turned it on again, and the same thing happened.

I called the dealer and was asked whether anyone had done any tire work for me recently. I replied I had just had the state inspection on the car, that they probably took off one or two wheels, and the system was confused after that. I was told that all the systems are related to one another. So, when you take a wheel off, everything resets (all the computer alarms and other gizmos) and has to relearn. Perhaps that would take 20-30 miles. If not, bring it in to the dealer.

Driving home, I looked at the map from time to time to see where it thought I was and where I was heading. It consistently told me I was nowhere near my actual location and heading east when I was going west. About two miles from home, it found where I really was. Ah, cognitive dissonance relieved.

Never know the effect of doing one small thing on the rest of what's going on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home