Saturday, April 02, 2011

Doggone, I'm a Lucky Pup


Minnie, my wonderful pointer/Aussie mix, died last Monday. I have, for years, stopped by the local branch of the Humane Society to look at the purrs and woofs. Not to adopt, just to look and wonder. I guess there was a part of me that wanted to get a cat again and there were/are plenty that look wonderful. I don’t think I ever saw a dog that really caught my fancy.

The morning I moved Minnie from the ER vet hospital to my own vet and knew her fate, I went by the Humane Society on my way home. Just to see, to get some nurturing for myself. To look at animals with time, with a future. And I saw two puppies that were rescue dogs, part Parsons Russell (Jack Russell) terriers. I didn’t linger long, but one of them caught my eye: she had markings very similar to Minnie.

The next day I was back there and played with the pup. I had some conversations with the staff about how she came to them (rescue from a hoarder, or a puppy mill, or some other situation), what age (little over two months), a foster home when very young, etc. Thursday morning I was back and wanted to put a reserve or deposit on the pup. No go. First come, first served. It’s cash-and-carry. Either you want to adopt, are qualified to adopt, and do it, or the animal is still open for adoption with whoever walks in the door. I didn’t want to chance another getting this pup.

Our good friends John and Mary Beth joined me at the shelter after lunch. I filled out all the paperwork, signed all the forms, bought a new dog crate, some chew toys, stopped at Petsmart for good puppy food, and went home.

She’s Sabrina, sort of a combination of the names of two other dogs that have been part of my life. There was Sabra, a pure-blood English pointer, who was born at our old farm in Steelville, MO and who came with us to Chesterfield when we sold the farm and moved the horses here. And there was Minnie, our alpha dog for the last 14 years here. With the pup having similar markings as these two other dog partners of mine, Sabrina seems appropriate. Robin came up with the name. She’s good at that.

It’s a challenge to have a pup after all these years, but one that I’m up for. So, within a week I lost a constant companion and gained a new friend. It’s been an interesting month with ups and downs and ups. The trip to Venice and the wonders there that I shared with our son, Jeff. News about a friend who is not doing well. The ongoing recovery of our niece in California. And always my being surrounded by a loving Marian, our wonderful children and grandchildren.

Every meal in Venice, Stewart Halperin, our leader would propose a toast: “Are we lucky, or what?” And I say it here: Am I lucky, or what?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home