Saturday, February 03, 2007

Kurds in the Way

Before the U.S. invaded Iraq, I wrote the following poem, which seems relevant today even more so.

Kurds in the Way

It’s a heyday for retired colonels and generals
as each news broadcast strives to clarify what it can't,
postulates on what will, won't, might, could.
I am transfixed by what I hear and see, become
a junkie even before our incursion

begins. One of the third who don't see
any rationale or excuse for what comes
tomorrow, my voice is ignored, tread upon.
You can’t buy my acceptance,
acquiescence even, with a short, low-casualty
expedition. Take a manufactured country, neighbors

on all sides with designs on its territory,
ethnic groups. Stir it with fractured world
bodies, defense networks, friends-cum-
enemies. Add a dollop of destruction,
beneviolent occupation. Some of the chefs
lick the bowl. Don't slam the door
on the nuclear oven when you leave.

I don’t even want to think of writing a poem that deals with what’s going on now and the possibility of we might do in Iran.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home