Friday, June 09, 2006

Would You Buy a Used Car From This Man?

Most of the time when we buy a new car or truck, I sell the used one from the end of our driveway. We live on a state highway and lots of people pass by everyday…sometimes so many that it’s hard to get out of the driveway, but that’s another story.

With earlier cars, I learned that a Toyota is easier to sell than a Volvo, even if they both have the same mileage and are the same age and condition. This time around, it was a VW Touareg, two-years old, average mileage, that got put out there for sale. I thought it would be more like the Toyota than the Volvo. I was wrong.

I picked an asking price was reasonable given what I learned from KBB and Edmonds and displayed it on the windshield and had a copy of the original window sticker there, too. In addition, I listed the car on Auto Trader, a web site that was recommended as the best to use. I got one bite from a passerby who came and drove the car and one from the Auto Trader listing with lots of emails going back and forth, but no offer or visit. Otherwise, nada, bupkis, zilch. In addition, the Auto Trader listing is limited in number of characters, so I really could not put in a full description of what was on the car, the extended warranty, etc.

I am a veteran eBay user and, over the years, have sold things from cameras and model trains to a used manure spreader. So, after three weeks of no action from people seeing the car driving by or from contacts through Auto Trader, I listed it with eBay Motors. Nice things include a flat fee for cars and the ability to fully describe the vehicle and all its features. I used the same pictures I had used with Auto Trader.

It was a week’s auction. The bid stayed at my reserve from mid-week until four minutes to go in the auction. Then, two bidders had at each other with the final price rising nicely in those last ticks of the clock. The winner, a young man from New York state, flew in and drove his newly acquired vehicle eastward.

Do I get a testimonial fee from eBay for this nice endorsement? Yeh. Sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home