Friday, May 23, 2008

Ancestry or My Family?

My daughter-in-law has an account with Ancestry.com and is working on a family tree. When stuff is added, I get an email alert telling me to click on a link to see the new information, pictures, stories, etc. This past week, something changed. When I click on the links in the email, I am taken to a screen that forces you to join for a “free 14-day trial.” There is no way around this screen. If you want to go forward, you click on “Continue,” which takes you to a screen where they want your information in order to join … which is something I do not want. All I want is to see the family tree.

So, I called the Ancestry.com customer service line, waited about five minutes for a representative, and told her my story. She said she knew there had been some updating on the web site, but she could not answer my question. So, she transferred me to technical support. After about 15 minutes, a representative answered. I explained my problem to her. She looked up my account. She put me on hold to consult with others. She came back and asked from whom I had received the email. I looked and it was from myfamily@reply.myfamilyinc.com. “Oh,” she said, “that’s why I can’t find it.” She went on to explain that she was technical support for the ancestry builder part of Ancestry.com and that My Family was something else … for viewing a family tree.

So, she transferred me to the My Family technical support team. After about 10 minutes, a representative came on the line. I explained my story to her. She looked at my account and the main account. She said that the alert I had received was really from Ancestry.com and that the “myfamily” stuff was an old name, but they were all the same. She said she was going to transfer me to the technical support at Ancestry.com. I told her that they had transferred me to her. She laughed.

After spending some time on hold, she came back to ask that I just go to Ancestry.com (don’t use the links that they had provided me in their emails) and logon as me. She gave me a password to use. Sure enough, I could get to the family tree without having to join for a free trial.

By the way, all the representatives were cheerful and tried their best to help. Seems like none of them had been told of this free offer deal that sales had inserted into the web links.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home