Tuesday, March 09, 2010

2010 Florida 6

March 7, 2010: Just hung around the condo all AM. Went out for lunch at The Dock in Old Naples. It’s an annual event for us – especially the shrimp nachos. Afterward, we drove over to the Conservancy of Southwest Florida and took an hour-long guided boat tour of the Gordon River and Golden Gate Canal with a terrific captain, Tom Marvel (you may remember him from the comics), who gave us the history of the area and pointed out the plants and trees and birds. Quite lovely.

We thought we’d spend an hour on the beach, but when we got out of the car, it was too cold to do so – stiff wind blowing in from the gulf. So, back to the condo.

Dinner at the Shears was a wonderful homemade tomato soup followed by stone crab claws. The soup, terrific. The crab claws, only okay. They were mediums (and I’m spoiled by usually having the largest size) and the meat stuck to the shells (as we had been warned by a guy at the farmers market who said that happens when it’s as cold as it has been). But it was fun and a treat anyway.

The rest of the evening was taken up with watching the Oscars. Then to bed.

March 8, 2010: Jeff went to play 18 holes and Toby had a meeting to attend. So we spent the morning getting ready to leave tomorrow. There is the last load of clothes to wash, things to gather into bags, etc. And it’s always nice to look at what you brought to wear that you never had on your body. I can’t speak for the woman who has over a dozen pairs of shoes with her and some more she got here, but for me, I was only in khakis twice here (not even once in Sarasota). Other than the time I was in khakis, I never used any of my polo shirts, short-sleeved or long. With the cold weather, I really lived in the two sweatshirts I had with me.

My cold is better, although still lingering. Need some heat, some sun. Guess I’ll have to go home to get it. Went out for lunch. Then to the beach. A very cold wind enveloped us and we left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home