Friday, June 04, 2010

New York - June 4, 2010

It’s been an interesting day. The flight from STL to NYC was fine. Oh, they don’t turn on the AC in the airplane until they start the engines, which is after everyone is aboard and they’re ready to taxi. So they keep all the window shades down and the lights out! Then there is the announcement that a packet of an inflatable pillow and a blanket can be purchased for $8, potato chips for $3.59, a cookie for some other large amount, etc. and credit card only, no cash.

I was in a middle seat, but my companions were nice and read or slept. A child two rows up uttered screams every so often, especially all through the last half hour. In La Guardia, I went to the ground transportation desk and waited for my share-a-ride van from Go Airlink NYC. Nine of us were in the van with six different destinations. We went into the city on a strange route, but the driver kept us moving. We crossed over the Queensboro Bridge and headed uptown on 1st to the upper 60s for the first drop off. Then it was back south on 2nd into the 40s for the second person. Then we wended westward with me being the fourth out at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square (48th and 8th). Took about an hour and a quarter.

I checked in and was sent to room 818. Upon entering, I saw housekeeping had forgotten about it and it was in the shape the last occupants left it. Most apologetic at the front desk, they then gave me 1431, a corner room looking down on 48th toward Broadway. And a free bottle of water. And free breakfasts at Pigalle, their restaurant, for al three days. Not bad.

I unpacked, talked to Annie Parker about tomorrow, and went to Saigon 48, which is less than a half a block away on 48th. Carolyn and Howard had recommended it and it was good. I had basil duck and a beer.

After dinner, I continued down 48th to Broadway taking pictures. Then up Broadway for a couple of blocks and back to the hotel across 49th. Chatted with Carolyn on iChat. Talked to Pru about Sunday. Then a brief iChat with Marian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home