Sunday, June 06, 2010

New York - June 6, 2010

Another wonderful and jam-packed day. I got up at 8:00 hoping Caroline and Ben would come in for breakfast at 9:30. We had some crossed communication so that by the time Caroline called me, it was too late for them to get from there to here (an hour’s journey). So, I had one of my free breakfasts at Pigalle at the hotel. I gathered up my stuff and walked up 8th and then westward across town to MOMA.

I could only spend about an hour there, so went to the Cartier-Bresson exhibit to try to at least see part of it today and come back tomorrow. I was glad I had purchased a membership since I could bypass the hordes standing in line. As I had been told, these are photographs that make you weep with their beauty and composition and subjects. But, I only had time to see part today. More tomorrow.

I continued walking across town to Park Ave. and took a taxi uptown to 80th between Lexington and 3rd to Georgine Goodman’s house (Pru’s mom). It’s a four-story brownstone, about 18 feet wide. Exquisite. I had a lovely time with Georgine. Her husband, Maurice Goodman, Jr., was my second cousin. She was delighted to have another Maurice and her husband was also called Bud. She is an accomplished watercolor artist and photographer (double-lens reflex). She showed me several pictures of her family and we talked for an hour. It was really lovely.

Pru and I then left at went to 3rd Ave. to Eli’s (part of Zabar empire) for lunch and then took a cab up to 121st and Broadway for the family reunion.

There were about 40 or more there. Except for Chick/Dorothy, Pru, and me, all were related through my great aunt, Sarah Hirsch Firuski. Annie Parker had sent me pictures of all who were coming and how everyone was related, so I had a head start. I met about everyone there and they were excited that there was still a Hirsch around. Many had thought the name had stopped at my grandfather’s generation, not knowing we ever existed. I did find out the cause of the schism between my great aunts Clara and Sarah – it was a man – supposedly, it was Louis Firuski, Sarah’s first husband.

No words can really describe all the feelings about meeting a whole section of my family at this time in my life. There is this connection as if we’ve known each other for a long time and it was incidental that this was the first time we met.

Chick and Dorothy drove Pru and me back to my hotel where we talked in my room for a bit. Around 6:00, we headed over to Sofia’s on 46th for a nice dinner and wine. Pru and I went from there to the Imperial Theatre on the next block over to see Billy Elliot. Wowie zowie. One of the best musicals I’ve ever seen. Can’t wait to see it again.

Pru and I parted with hugs and knowing we’ll see each other soon. Back to the hotel for writing and working on pictures and preparing for my last day here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home