Saturday, August 28, 2010

I'm reading my stuff ...

Catherine Rankovic, my friend and mentor, has posted a statement and question about going to "readings."

I agree with what she has to say. I see from personal experience the observations she makes about who comes to a "reading" and why. However, besides being at a reading to network and be seen, I also go because I like the author/poet(s) at the "reading." I learn from listening to others read their work.

But Catherine's main points are valid about who comes, who reads, and why ... and the difference between authors/poets who come and "fans." I also know that when I invite people (friends, colleagues, fellow non-profit board members) to come to hear authors/poets read, they smile, but their eyes turn glassy and they don't show up.

For me, and I suspect others, "readings" provide the best venue for selling our books. But that means more "fans" need to come and not just other writers. How do we do this? How can we get interest in the art we create in words?

Suggestions are appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home