Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Aim Your Canon

We sent a Canon camera for repair in the beginning of April. It came back with all the repairs done. However, unbeknownst to us, none of the little stainless screws that hold the camera together had been properly tightened. We only noticed this about now when a couple of the screws fell out. I took a tiny hobby screwdriver and tightened all the screws, except we had lost one who knows where.

Yes, this is another customer service rant. I went to the repair order and called the Factory Service Center in Illinois. I explained my problem and told the representative that all I needed was a couple of screws, no need to send the camera back. She took my repair order number, verified I was who I said I was, put me on hold. The line went dead.

I called again. Got another person, Leticia. Told her the same story. Gave her the repair order number. She said she would connect me with the repair department and they would handle it. Hmm, the repair department. Guess I thought the number on the repair order for the Factory Service Center and the “listen to these options since our directory has changed” correct number for repairs wasn’t enough.

Got to next woman. Told her same story. Told her repair number. Told her I didn’t need to send camera in, just needed a couple of teeny, tiny stainless screws. “Oh,” she said, “you have to call our parts department in New Jersey to get parts.” She put me on hold, retrieved the number, and gave it to me.

I called New Jersey. I got through their numeric switchboard to the parts department. I told my story again. He said that I should be talking to the repair department in Illinois. I told him they had said I was to talk to parts in New Jersey. I was asked how many screws I needed and said two should do the trick. He paused and said, with shipping, the cost would be $6.40. I reiterated that this was as a result of Canon’s repair department not tightening screws during service and that the camera had come back to me in early April with a 90-day warranty. He said I really should be talking to the service center. He put me on hold.

In a few minutes, a person I had been talking to in Illinois (Leticia … see above) came on the line. Yes, I was the person she had been talking to earlier. She wondered why her service department had referred me to the parts department. Hey, I’m clueless on that one. She put me on hold and had a conference with the New Jersey guy. Back on the phone, she asked me how many screws I needed. Two. She verified my address and told me they should be put into the mail tomorrow since the New Jersey guys had left for the day (it was 4:30 Eastern at the time).

Thank you for calling Canon. Your screws are forthcoming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home