Sunday, April 19, 2009

Rewards Come to Those Who Email

This past week, I went online to make a reservation at a Marriott property for a family celebration in another state. Earlier in the week, I had gotten an email from Marriott that asked me to join their rewards program. I looked at their offer, but went no further since we don’t stay at motels very often. However, when I decided I wanted to reserve one of their rooms, I rethought the idea.

So, I tried to open a rewards account, not thinking I had ever had one. I put in my name, the usual email address I use for all online stuff, etc. A message came back that told me there might be another account in my name and to contact customer support. There was no way online to get around this. I tried, but to no avail. I even tried the “forgot your password?” route, but hit a dead end.

So, I called the 800 number. The recording told me it would be 37 minutes before a representative could talk to me. I hung up. Next, I sent an email in which I told them that I needed to clarify things so I could log on.

Their email response was: “Thank you for contacting the Marriott Rewards office. We have located an account registered in the name of Maurice Hirsch at the address provided. However, there is no suffix on the account whereas, you have listed the sender name on your e-mail as Maurice L. Hirsch "Jr". Does Maurice Hirsch Sr. live at the same address provided? Thank you for your assistance with this matter. I look forward to your reply.”

I emailed back: “My dad was Maurice L. Hirsch and I am Maurice L. Hirsch, Jr. Dad has been dead for over 20 years. I'm still Maurice L. Hirsch, Jr. So, what do I do?”

They responded: “Thank you for your reply. I would be happy to enroll you in the program if you could provide me with the following information …” Information was all the name, address, phone, etc. stuff you’d need for an account.

My response: “Glad to do all this, but wonder about account I might already have per your company's earlier email. Please see trail of emails below. Why can't we work with what seems like an existing account and clear up the suffix vs. no suffix problem? Here's my information, but you'll find it on the account that is referred to by one of your customer service agents below.”

They wrote back: “Thank you again for your reply. Since it has been determined that the original account found in the system was registered to your father, I have enrolled you with your own personal account as Marriott Rewards does not have joint accounts.” It went on from there about my new account number, how to access it, etc. They ended the email with: “Welcome to the Marriott Rewards program!”

I wrote back: “Arggggh. No, my father never had an account. He never lived at this address. He has been dead since 1986. That was my whole point in trying to just get the old account clarified so I could use it. Please note that I said the following (which is shown below): ‘My dad was Maurice L. Hirsch and I am Maurice L. Hirsch, Jr. Dad has been dead for over 20 years. I'm still Maurice L. Hirsch, Jr. So, what do I do?’ To eliminate further confusion in this matter, please purge the old account that you say was my father's even though he never had such an account, never used the Internet, and has been dead for 23 years now. I will use the new account you have provided me with. HOWEVER, if I have accumulated any points on that other account (which is mine and not my dead father's), I want them switched over to this new account. Please confirm all of this. My thanks for your cooperation. P.S., Oh, one more thing. For the last twenty years of my father’s life, he lived in Florida and had no Missouri address at all.”

Hmmm. Wonder what the new response will be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home