Saturday, September 04, 2010

Face It, Any Flickr of Privacy Has Gone Up in Smoke

Facebook changes stuff, as it seems to do about every hour and a half, so it looked as if my automatic updates of my Blogger blogs (like this one) and my photos on Flickr were a thing of the past. I cruised through every setting I could find on Facebook and could not see any way to either see if the updates were still working or how to reestablish them. I did know that I had posted some recent pictures on Flickr that were not being shown as a link on FB. And any semblance of either FAQs or chat room or whatever to get some help was to no avail, not to mention there does not seem to be a place where you can email an inquiry to FB.

I asked in a comment on FB if anyone knew what was going on. I also posted a question on their Help site. In the first instance, I got nothing. In the second, nothing helpful came from anyone out there in the dark void of the Internet.

So, I decided to use brute force at this point and posted manual links on FB to my newest blog posts. Several hours after I did that, automatic links showed up on FB. There must be some hidden link either on Blogger or FB to allow these automatic updates to still flow. Now for Flickr.

I found the place in Flickr where one could ask it to link to Facebook. I clicked on it. I got another screen that asked if Yahoo! (which owns Flickr) could have access to all my data on Facebook (my profile, who my “friends” are, etc. – 100 percent of everything I have links to or have posted on FB). I could either “Allow” or “Don’t Allow.” I clicked on “Don’t Allow.” It then told me there was an error in connecting my Flickr account to FB and to try later. I did. It gave me the same error. I tried several times the next day. It gave me the same error.

In the midst of this, I wrote an email to Flickr Help (yes, they do respond quickly and it’s a real person with whom you can ask further questions). The Flickr person told me how to link with Facebook. I told him I had done this and kept getting the error message. I did let him know that I had been clicking on “Don’t Allow,” but this never was addressed in his responses.

He then told me how to go to Yahoo! and try it from there. I did. I clicked on “Don’t Allow.” I got the same error message that it couldn’t connect with my FB account and to try later.

Just as a test, I went through the same procedure but clicked on “Allow” for all the data that Yahoo! wanted. Yeh, you know what’s next – it connected effortlessly. Is there a message anywhere that says: “For those of you who only want your friends to see your personal data, you cannot connect your Flickr account with Facebook?” Of course not. Did the Flickr customer service man let me know this? Nope. Is my experience a fluke? Well, you can try it yourself and let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home