Friday, April 13, 2007

What's in the Box?

I just received a new digital camera to replace an earlier model of the same camera. Let’s call them T100 (new) and T1 (old).

When I got the T1 several years ago, it came with:
1. a full owner’s manual (116 pages) with details on everything (menus, settings, etc.);
2. a dock into which you place the camera to (a) charge the battery inside the camera (full charge in a couple of hours, but nothing tells you how long it takes), and (b) move pictures to your computer through an attached USB cable;
3. a CD with various software that is useless to me, but useful for some.

With the T100, I got:
1. a partial owner’s manual (30 pages with the basics of push the shutter to take a picture, how to charge the battery, etc.);
2. a cord to connect the camera to a computer for USB downloading;
3. a battery charger where you have to take the battery out of the camera, stick it into the charger, and plug the charger into the wall;
4. a CD with various software that is useless to me and the “real” manual as a PDF file if you wanted to find out how to work the camera on more than a point-and-shoot basis.

In addition, when reading though the supplied printed manual, I see that battery charging time for the out-of-camera-camera experience is “330 minutes” for a full charge. Not sure why it’s in minutes: that’s 4.5 hours.

Also included in the box is a brochure with all the accessories you can buy for your new camera. One that is available is an out-of-camera battery charger that will charge your batter “in just 1.5 hours, over 3X faster than supplied charger.” Cost? $50 from lowest online supplier.

Another accessory you can purchase is a dock (like the one that came in the box with the T1) where you can transfer your pictures to a computer and do “in-camera charging … that’s approx. 30% faster than your camera’s supplied charger.” Sounds like about 3 hours instead of 4.5. Cost? $45 from lowest online supplier.

All of this is sort of like food packages or cleaning products where the volume has gone down to keep a price point (or even when price go up).

Insofar as the manual being supplied printed or as a PDF file, in the long run it’s no big deal. Having a PDF file means I can carry it with my on my laptop if I have questions away from home. However, at the beginning of having a new piece of equipment, it is important to me. I want to leaf back and forth to find different stuff that relates to what I am trying to learn and that is harder when scrolling through a very large PDF file.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home