Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Is This the Person with Whom I Am Connected?


Got my ATT bill yesterday. Hmm. Total is about $30 lower than last month. In looking through the bill, I see that there are no charges for my DSL service. I look at last month’s bill. Yep. Was charged then. So, I call the handy-dandy 800 number last night.

Naturally, you have to go through things like: “I see you’re calling from xxx-xxx-xxxx. Is that the number on your bill?” “Yes,” I reply. The voice says, “I’ll just look that up.” Now, I ask you, what is a computer voice going to do once “he” has looked up my account? Next questions are to see if they can handle this all with automated responses (e.g., “Do you want to check your outstanding balance?”). You are allowed to say “none of the above” to the list of choices. After several times of doing this, the reply came back: “Sorry, that office is closed now. Call back during regular business hours.” So much for 24-hour responses to questions.

This morning I went through the same deal. Yes, that’s the number. None of the above. None of the above. None of the above. And I’m referred to a customer service agent who comes right on the line and is quite helpful overall. My first question to her is whether I need to tell her the number/account I’m calling about. “Yes.” Guess automation only goes so far. The computer voice who said, “I’ll just look that up,” neglected to send the customer service representative “he” was referring me to what “he” had looked up.

I ask about no Internet charges on my bill. She tells me that the Internet division had not gotten their information over to whatever division does the billing this month. Not to worry, though. My service will continue. They will just catch up next month.

Ah, the new AT&T. No communication between the automated system and real people. No communication between divisions so services can be billed on time. America rolls on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home