Sunday, August 28, 2011

Backup and You Won't Get Hurt

I use QuickBooks for Windows on my Mac using a Windows emulator. Been doing this ever since Apple put out Macs with Intel processors. QB for Mac is a very inferior product, so I am forced to go the route I have.

We subscribe to an Intuit online backup service. I probably run a backup between once a week to two or three times a week depending on how much data I’ve entered since the last backup. Over the weekend, I have tried several times to backup our data only to be given a nondescript error message where even its “definition” online means about zero.

So, I called technical support. Got some guy in India or thereabouts. I explained the problem, the error message, and asked if there was any issue with their system. I was told there was not, that people were using the system as we spoke.

He asked if he could take remote control of my computer and I said he could. When I told him I was running a Windows emulator on a Mac, he told me he would try to help me, but they don’t support that application. He kept repeating this whenever I asked a question. He told me this so many times that I said to him to stop saying it again. That didn’t deter him. “I can try to help you, but we don’t support …” Argh!

I made it clear that I had been backing up the files to Intuit regularly using this setup and that only this weekend did I start getting an error message. Was there anything going on with the Intuit system now? Again, I was told there was not.

So I went into the Windows side and downloaded the file he needed to take control of my machine. After a few minutes, he asked if I minded being put on “hold” for a bit. I didn’t mind.

When he came back on the line, he told me that several people were having a problem logging onto their system, they were having lots of problems, and I should wait three or four days before trying again. So, the cloud is stormy today.

Thus, dear hearts, it was not Windows running on a Mac. It was Intuit all along. Would have been nice if he had checked that early on when I asked him if there was a problem on their end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home